Sue Coe, Woman Walks into Bar — Is Raped by Four Men on the Pool Table — While 20 Watch, 1983. Collection of the Museum of Modern Art, New York.
Cross-posted from Modern Art Notes: Yesterday Missouri GOP Senate candidate Rep. Todd Akin said that victims of “legitimate rape” do not get pregnant and that women have a biological defense that prevents them from becoming pregnant if raped. According to the American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 32,000 American women become pregnant each year after being raped. Last year presumptive GOP vice-presidential nominee Rep. Paul Ryan tried to re-define rape to require “force,” whatever that means. Presumably this counts?
You should read what Coe said about this painting here. It’s pretty astonishing.
- smashleythomas likes this
- gileslyon likes this
- newcolony reblogged this from 3rdofmay
- kmandel123 likes this
- holy--ginsberg likes this
- daruiburns likes this
- christinerville likes this
- iamdovetailed likes this
- northshoremale likes this
- frogsangtian likes this
- hugabugga likes this
- oati likes this
- future-feature likes this
- bremser likes this
- robosheep likes this
- hotsietozzi reblogged this from conscientious
- triciagilson reblogged this from 3rdofmay
- kidgloves reblogged this from 3rdofmay
- conscientious reblogged this from 3rdofmay
- dryheave likes this
- 3rdofmay posted this